Tuesday, October 4, 2016

NO MORE CANCELLATION OF PRISONERS' RELIGIOUS SERVICES


Bismillah ir Rahman ir Rahim.

NO MORE CANCELLATION OF PRISONERS' RELIGIOUS SERVICES

In June of this year I settled out of court in a case I brought against prison officials asserting that my right to practice Islam was being infringed upon every time prison officials cancelled Jumu'ah and Talim Services, and delayed the Eid al-Fitr prayer whenever they failed to provide an outside Islamic volunteer to lead them at the Columbia Correctional Institution (CCI). The district court dismissed it. I filed a reconsideration motion. While awaiting the decision on my motion,CCI officials had me transferred to the Green Bay Correctional Institution (GBCI), via an impromptu PRC process, despite my PRC results several weeks prior stating that I was to remain at CCI for another year. After notifying the court of my transfer, the district court denied my motion as moot being that I was no longer at CC!.

I appealed the decision to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, which reversed the district court's decision and held that because the DOC's actions were the result of a state-wide policy, my challenge was not limited to CCI, but to every prison in the state of Wisconsin. I was subsequently appointed a Dream Team of attorneys out of the Axley Brynelson, LLP Law Firm, headed by attorney Michael J. Modi. The end result is a settlement agreement that affects all Wisconsin prisoners (not just Muslims) who have their religious services cancelled due to the DOC failing to provide that particular service with an outside volunteer or a staff from that particular faith who's capable of leading that service. The DOC agreed that no prisoner's religious service will he cancelled for that reason. They also agreed to post a memo by no later than September 25, 2016 stating this change, and also to make sure that it stays posted for a period of 6 months thereafter. They also have until that date to be in full compliance of the settlement agreement throughout the state of Wisconsin. Their failure to comply by that time will result in the DOC being in violation of the settlement. It's every prisoner’s responsibility to make sure that they are in compliance therewith. If I learn that the DOC is not in compliance, I will create a paper trail by filing a complaint via the ICRS. Afterwards, I will inform the court of this breach of contract and produce the court with my ICRS documentation as evidence. (Insha Allah.)

Appended are letters from my attorney and the settlement agreement.

Al-Hamdulillah!


Rufus West #225213, GBCI,P.O. Box 19033

Appended (below)are letters from my attorney and the settlement agreement.

https://ffupstuff.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/r-west-at-axel-intro.pdf


https://ffupstuff.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/r-west-axely-settlement.pdf


https://ffupstuff.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/r-west-vs-graham.pdf


https://ffupstuff.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/r-west-vs-meisner-2011-cv-687suplclaim-1.pdf 


 


 
,